What is an Obagi Blue Peel?
Obagi Blue Peels are facial chemical peel procedures performed by your skin care physician. Dr Raj Acquilla will control the depth of the peel and the number of coats you need so the treatment is specific to your skin type. The Obagi Blue Peel is used in conjunction with the Nu-Derm System to enhance and potentiate the anti-ageing effects on the skin.
What can an Obagi Blue Peel Treat?
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Epidermal and dermal pigmentation problems
- Superficial acne scarring
- Large pores and comedones (white-heads)
- Solar keratoses
- Skin laxity and uneven texture
Can I go into the sun after a Skin Peel?
No 5 days out of the sun and then at least factor 50.
Why is the Obagi Nu-Derm system used in conjunction with Obagi Blue Peels?
Those seeking skin resurfacing procedures (Blue Peel) usually have unhealthy skin. By improving important skin cell functions with the Obagi Nu-Derm System prior to the procedure, post-procedure care is enhanced and down time is reduced. Further, the post-procedure variables such as sensitivity, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, erythema and scarring are reduced. Early recovery of normal skin structure and function will ultimately boost satisfaction with the procedure.
HOW LONG SHOULD OBAGI NU-DERM BE USED BEFORE GETTING A BLUE PEEL?
It varies based on the skin type, skin condition and depth of the Blue Peel. Usually, a minimum pre-conditioning program lasts 6 weeks. Skin with more pigment or hyperpigmentation requires 12-18 weeks.
WHAT IS THE EXPECTED RECOVERY TIME?
Depending on the depth level of the Blue Peel, healing time is between 3 and 10 days. After the procedure, you will experience light swelling and your skin will begin to peel within 2 to 3 days.
What happens during my appointment?
- You should consider an Obagi New Peel once you have completed at least 6 weeks of the Obagi Nu-Derm System
- When you arrive you will fill out a consent form, which will be followed with pre-treatment photography
- You will be given a mild pain killer if required
- A couple of coats of the Obagi liquid is applied to your skin
- You will be kept comfortable by a cooled air jet
- The procedure takes 30-60 minutes to complete
- Blue colour will persist on skin until peeling complete
- Peeling begins at day 2-3 and completes by day 10-14
- Results noticeable by 6 weeks
Possible Side Effects
- Redness and swelling is COMMON
- Skin infections are LESS COMMON - readily treated with antibiotics
- Post peel eruption of cold sores are RARE – treated with Zovirax
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is RARE– treatable with Hydroquinone cream
- Scarring is VERY RARE
- Allow skin to peel naturally – DO NOT pick or pull skin fragments
- Apply Obagi Action or Comfort Gel to tight, dry or itchy skin
- Try cold compress for swelling and inflammation
- Simple analgesia is recommended initially
- Make up may be applied to new skin after 7 days
- Avoid sun exposure without SPF > 35 for at least 6 weeks
- Resume Obagi Nu-Derm maintenance once peeling complete